Tis The Season-December Surf, 2017

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Been surfing and playing my gtr and piano alot. Have not hit REC in a long time but did throw a holiday surf vid togeth w/a coupla old RECs. Happy Holiday's ZOOMERS!

1 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music
Soundclick Soundcloud Reverbnation YouTube

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Tis The Season-December Surf, 2017

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:24 pm

You have a lot of talent with video. Enjoyed the view!

What's the water temperature now? I'm guessing about 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Wow! That's wild that your surfing this time of year. Do those wet suits really keep you dry and warm? Doesn't your face get cold and raw? Do you just go up to the beach and those other guys are there too? Or do you call each other and meet up? You had some nice rides.

Great music too! Is that you playing piano? Man, you are good at that too. Nice work and nice recordings.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year to you and to all the Zoomers, wherever you happen to be.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:53 am

Wow, you are not in Australia are you? :P The waters look very wintery.
The jazzy piano was good but the mandolin and guitar instrumental was brilliant, well done! Happy Xmas!
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:18 am

Jim_Fogle wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:24 pm
You have a lot of talent with video. What's the water temperature now? I'm guessing about 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
Thanx, Jim. I've been putting videos together for quite sometime now and have used a few different editing programs. It's pretty easy once you get the basics down. You can be quite creative w/effects, transitions, titling, and such. Water temp is pretty close to your estimate for New Jersey this time of yr. But it will get MUCH colder come January/February.
The Cracks wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:00 pm
Do those wet suits really keep you dry and warm? Doesn't your face get cold and raw? Do you just go up to the beach and those other guys are there too? Or do you call each other and meet up? You had some nice rides.Is that you playing piano?
The wetsuits today are quite different from the old ones. Rubber tech and wetsuit builds are so advanced now. You would be amazed at how warm you stay in one, but you won't stay dry. The idea is to get some water in the suit and then body temp warms it. But a good wipeout will "flush" you and that's when it starts to get cold as the water starts to heat again. And yes, your face can get extremely cold, especially in wind chills. I met those guys randomly, they just showed at my beach. But they're regs who surf w/me frequently.
That is indeed me playing the piano. Funny you should ask about that track. I REC'd it quite a few yrs ago and built the backing track in BIAB. It's one of my fav holiday classics and was quite a challenge to learn and REC. Piano is so different than gtr as far as it's linear approach, compared to the complex matrix of the guitars fretboard.
greenA2 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:53 am
Wow, you are not in Australia are you?
lol, I wish! It's New Jersey. Always wanted to visit "The land Down Unda"!
greenA2 wrote:
the mandolin and guitar instrumental was brilliant
lol, thanx. Believe it or not that mando is a synth outa MixCraft connected to my YRG. It's probably one of the most realistic tracks I ever REC'd on the thing!
0 x
Les Paul Studio, ES 135, Guild G37, Wechter Pathmaker, Fender GN-45SCE Classical, YouRockGuitar, Fender Jazz Bass, Ovation Celebrity, Oscar Schmidt OU6LCE Ukulele, Gibson F4 Mandolin, Yamaha PSR-225GM, Line 6 UX2 & FX100, DOD FET preamp, MC10O Condensor Mic, Dynamic Unidirectional Mic, MRS-8, Samplitude, REAPER, Mixcraft, EZ Drummer/Mix, Steven Slate Drums, POD Farm, Guitar Rig, FENDER Deluxe Silverface, Roland CUBE-60, Jazz Real Books by Sher Music

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:29 pm

surfercook wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:18 am
greenA2 wrote:
the mandolin and guitar instrumental was brilliant
lol, thanx. Believe it or not that mando is a synth outa MixCraft connected to my YRG. It's probably one of the most realistic tracks I ever REC'd on the thing!
Wow, I was ready to believe the piano was YRG, but the chords are still rather too pianistic for that. But the mandolin sounded like the real thing so much it fooled me, the doubling on the guitar must have helped.

I find using the Robert Fripp 'new standard tuning' helps with mandolin or violin parts on the YRG, is that what you use here?
0 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar

surfercook
The Force
The Force

Post by surfercook » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:23 am

greenA2 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:29 pm
I find using the Robert Fripp 'new standard tuning' helps with mandolin or violin parts on the YRG, is that what you use here?
Thanx for the extended interest in my work here, greenie. I've never used an alt tuning for any mando parts. Always went w/the standard GDAE tuning. The intervals of 5ths actually makes MUCH more sense than the staggered 4ths and single 3rd of the guitar. I'm quite fascinated by this NST concept having studied numerous alt and open tunings. I wonder if that's what Stanley Jordan used. Very interesting and comprehensive wiki on the NST.
New_standard_tuning
Here's one of the most successful mando compositions I've ever studied and REC'd. It was a long study of almost two weeks just to learn and chart out the rhythm gtr. Then about another week to learn the melody and fills on the mando. Been quite a long time since I've picked it up. This is my real mandolin. It's a vintage Gibson F4 .
Estate

The Gibson
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:13 pm

surfercook wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:18 am
Piano is so different than gtr as far as it's linear approach, compared to the complex matrix of the guitars fretboard.
I agree completely. While I am not good on piano by any stretch of the imagination, I do get it totally. I still don't get a lot of the guitar. I probably never will.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson