Fight over MD State song - final 2018 outcome - stalemate - no change.

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: My song in bills to become MD State song. Update 02/17/18

Post by The Cracks » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:39 am

Thanks still_fiddlin!

The hearing on the State song bills (mine, the contest bill, and a third one) were held on Thursday, Feb 22nd. What a street fight. I knew my song well before I started singing, as Dylan advises, and I knew my subject matter. My Senator is a waste and wasn't prepared, but the strength of my bill carried her through. The opposition Senator (the one who sponsored the contest) was well prepared too, and she knew her subject matter, but she has a weak bill. So while I took a beating from her supporters, I gave as good as I got and I had them on the strength of my bill versus the weakness of their bill. In short, the other side wants to get rid of our crazy State song altogether and have a contest for a new one. My argument is that a new song contest would be great but it will never pass the General Assembly, or be singed by the Governor, and it would cost a lot of money. My bill, on the other hand, would make the song inclusive and it would wipe out all the pro-Confederacy stuff, and it would be free! An entirely new song would be the best but, as the old saying goes, the perfect is often the enemy of the good. We'll see what argument carries the day, if either does. The General Assembly has done nothing on this issue before and they very likely could do nothing again this year.

But, to help my case, the cost analysis of each bill came out today. My bill would cost the State of Maryland $0.00!

The contest bill would be "expensive" (too early to know yet, but perhaps upwards of $100,000.00 or even more) and the secure website that would be required to receive online voting as the bill calls for, would be "very likely impossible" to build.

I think I am winning the battle so far. We still have a long way to go.

And, by the way, I did sing my version of the song at the Senate hearing. I sang it pretty good too, but there was very little response this time around. There was no news coverage. There appears to be a media blackout of the State song issue (other than the AP story from last week). I think local media is tired of covering it. The State song issue is like the boy who cried wolf. They keep talking about changing the song but never do.
3 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My song could become MD State song. Update 02/24/18

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:19 am

Next time have Madonna sing a duet with you, perhaps the media will show up again. :)
0 x

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:20 am

And yeah, it's cool you performed it live for them. Good for you.
1 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks Zoetrope. I would post my performance on Youtube but I swear technology has changed so much in just a few short years that I don't even own a camcorder any more. I don't even do videos. If I did, I'd use my cell phone. Crazy. :nuts:

The latest update is that our Governor said yesterday that he "wouldn't stand in the way of progress" in regards to changing the State song. This is big news because he's always said changing the State song would be giving in to "PC".

Maryland is a very liberal, Democrat state, but once in a while we elect Republican governors, much like Massachusetts does. And this guy is very popular because he's right in the middle. So his saying he'd agree to changing the song is a real kicker and it means something will be happening this year, unless the super-majority Democratic General Assembly, messes it up, which is not out of the possibilities. I'm not sure if my song will be the change or not, but I'm still in the game. To be honest, my revision was written last year before all the latest racial trouble, so the State might be ready to drop our current song all together. I wouldn't blame them if that's the direction they go in. My view is that what ever the will of the people is, as voiced through their representatives, that is what I want too.

Action pending...
3 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: My song could become MD State song. Update 02/27/18

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:39 pm

I appreciate the updates and comments.

Politics is a whole different ballgame than anything else in the world. What else can justify spending piles of money to obtain a job that pays comparatively speaking, very little.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: My song could become MD State song. Update 02/27/18

Post by The Cracks » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks Jim. I appreciate your reading along and support. :metal:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: My song will not be the State song. Update: 03/13/18

Post by The Cracks » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:27 pm

I just found out today that the bill that would have made my song the State song received positive vote (2 for, 1 against, 8 abstains) but an unfavorable recommendation in the Maryland General Assembly Senate committee. That effectively kills the bill. It was scheduled for a House hearing tomorrow but I called my Delegate and told him the bad news and he'll pull the bill before the hearing. No need to argue for a dead bill.

The bill to have a contest for a new State song also failed in the Senate committee. They amended that bill so the contest was lined out and the current State song, which was repealed in the bill, would be designated as our "historical State song," and we'd have no official State song. In other words the General Assembly would be copping out of making any changes. Too much. Most people agree our current song is a pro-Confederate, racist song, that represents a state that remained in the Union and is very liberal and has a high percentage of minorities, and most people consider in the geographic Northeast and not the South. That's Maryland politics. But it's all a moot point as I doubt they will pass any bill having to do with State song this year so nothing will be gained or lost, at least as I am concerned. I live to fight another day.

Thank you everyone who showed support. I appreciate it.
2 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zoetrope » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:16 am

And fight on you will. They can only hold back change so long.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:44 am

Really sorry to read this. I believed your song was gaining support and had a real chance of being selected. To come so close and then be dismissed must hurt. I know it would hurt me if I had invested so much thought, time and energy on a worthy project.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks Jim.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Sorry to hear that Sean. At least you gave it a go.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks Zoetrope (sorry I missed you on last post) and Dick.

Yes, if by chance they end the General Assembly and the current State song is still in place (i.e., all bills to change it or retire it, etc., failed), which is a real possibility, I already have my next attack plan ready for 2019! :metal: And even if a contest bill passes, I have a damned good song ready to enter in that too.
2 x
My albums

My songs

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: My other song may be State song. Update: 03/17/18

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:19 pm

Well, it's not over until it's over.

The Maryland Senate passed a bill that will make our current pro-Confederate song the "Historic" song and not the "Official" song which will leave Maryland without a State song (we'd be joining New Jersey as the only states without official State songs). People don't mind getting rid of the current piece of crap, but they are not at all happy about us not having any State song. So, my other version of Maryland, My Maryland is making a slight come back. The Baltimore Sun did a good interview and story about me and my song and did a video recording of me singing a part of it. People who hear it like it. So, while it is probably too late in the game, you just never know.

Here is the story and video in the Baltimore Sun:

Maryland may soon be a State without a song. This Baltimore musician has a plan.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: The final push. Update: 03/18/18

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:36 am

There are a little over two weeks left in the 2018 Maryland General Assembly. The bill to reclassify the official State song as "the Historical State song" is making its way through the legislature. My goal now is to make sure the music to the current song and the title "Maryland, My Maryland" are preserved. After all, the music and the title never offended anyone. In fact most people like it.

I make my case in this Baltimore Post-Examiner op ed piece. (They ran with my brainstorming first edit so excuse any problems with the text. I sent them an updated, correct version but it was too late.)

From the article:

"...it [keeping the current music and song title] will get rid of the pro-Confederate lament by Randall and it will establish, once and for all, that the State song of Maryland will always be called “Maryland, My Maryland,” and it will be to the tune of ” Lauriger Horatius,” with, or without words."
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: Fight over MD State song - final 2018 outcome - stalemate - no change.

Post by The Cracks » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:59 pm

The 2018 Maryland General Assembly ended and there is no change to our State song. It is a stalemate. My idea of revising the current State song to make it more inclusive failed, but so did the idea of having a contest for a completely new song, as did the idea of having no official State song and making our current official song the "historic State song". In the end, nothing happened. So, this very liberal, Northeast corridor (Mid-Atlantic) state, that never left the Union during the Civil War, will continue to have a pro-Confederate, anti-Union State song. Welcome to Maryland politics. For me, the battle goes on. I'll keep you updated on any developments in the future.

Thanks for all your support and encouragement. I appreciate it.
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website