Zoom H4n Stereo output using line out

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
ciroricci
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom H4n Stereo output using line out

Post by ciroricci » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:05 am

Hi all!
I'm trying to figure out how to output a stereo signal from my Zoom recorder. I'm using two external mono microphone (plugged in 1 and 2) and if I monitor with a earphone I will have first mic on left channel and second on the right one. When I connect (with a stereo cable) the line out of zoom whit the line in of my MacBook Pro, with Audacity (Stereo mode) I can heard only the first microphone on both channel, and there's no way to have the second mic to be heard. What I'm doing wrong?

Tank you

Jo
0 x

still_fiddlin

Re: Zoom H4n Stereo output using line out

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:39 am

H4n or H4n Pro?

Which MacBook Pro has a Line In? I thought they all had a combo jack designed for the earbud/mic TRRS plug that came with the MacBooks?

In Audacity, are you creating a Stereo track and have you assigned the 2 separate inputs to the Left and Right? What does the track say is being used as input, and what does that map to in the system sound settings?

P.S.
Manual links - kept getting 404 on the links in this subforum - those bad links need edited/deleted!

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... manual.pdf

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... nglish.pdf
0 x

ciroricci
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ciroricci » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:03 am

still_fiddlin wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:39 am
H4n or H4n Pro?

Which MacBook Pro has a Line In? I thought they all had a combo jack designed for the earbud/mic TRRS plug that came with the MacBooks?

In Audacity, are you creating a Stereo track and have you assigned the 2 separate inputs to the Left and Right? What does the track say is being used as input, and what does that map to in the system sound settings?

P.S.
Manual links - kept getting 404 on the links in this subforum - those bad links need edited/deleted!

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... manual.pdf

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/f ... nglish.pdf
Tank you so much for your reply
I have a regular H4n and a 15" MacBook Pro 2011 (with two different port for audio in and out, as you can see here)

I attach two screens from audacity and from Midi utility. What I would change to map the two channels properly?

Tank you

Jo
Schermata 2018-06-11 alle 14.59.08.jpg
Schermata 2018-06-11 alle 14.59.28.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:33 am

Hmm. Well, I don't have an H4n, but if you're playing back and plug in headphones and hear distinct output from left and right, and then from that same output jack securely plug a TRS-TRS 1/8" (i.e., stereo at both ends) cable between the H4n and your MacBook Pro, it should record the same stereo signal you just heard on the headphones. If not, the cable must be faulty. I just used the audio/line in on my 2012 Mac Mini and took the output from my H6 and recorded it in Audacity and had the same stereo separation in the Audacity track as I had in the headphones.

I have to say I've never done that, because I just pop out the SD card and copy the files from there into my DAW, and not sure why you are doing it, since you have that capability, or connecting with USB and reading the SD card, or even using the H4n as an interface.

Edit: attached images - Audacity doesn't look that different but it was an old recording of someone playing/singing with a bass player - I panned the bass right (output mixer settings in my H6) some so you can see that side is louder in the image.
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 10.35.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 10.35.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 10.36.04 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

ciroricci
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ciroricci » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:59 am

Tank you again for your help!
Using headphone i can hear the two channel separately. So now i have to take a new cable to make a test ;)

Thx

Jo
0 x

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:21 am

ciroricci wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:59 am
Tank you again for your help!
Using headphone i can hear the two channel separately. So now i have to take a new cable to make a test ;)
I hope that is the problem. Otherwise it is baffling. I do think that what you hear in recording might be different, because it is not clear that the Mixer settings apply then, or only during playback. (The H6 has settings for both Monitor Mixer and a Playback Mixer.)
0 x

ciroricci
new to this board
new to this board

Post by ciroricci » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:47 am

Here I am again. I changed the stereo cable and now it's working. I have the left and right channel, and I can hear the two microphones. Tank you again for your time and support ;)

Jo
1 x