Zoom F8 live recording

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
still_fiddlin

Zoom F8 live recording

Post by still_fiddlin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 pm

I hosted an open mic a couple weeks ago and this was the very first "warm up" number. The usual "why's the cord wrapped around my leg?" and "what key is this?" stuff that resulted from taking a bit longer to set up than planned, and not having cameras exactly right (3rd camera was not usable at this point). But, I love the F8. As soon as I can afford another F8 or F8n the H6 will get auctioned off. The poly-wav format and one-press record button for new takes, backup SD card, just those make my life so much easier. The F8n will be nice to extend to 16 tracks and with a better limiter, but I've not had any real problems with the H6 limiting, which is essentially what's in the F8. Anyway, maybe not the ideal piece for single SLR augmented audio, but for live, multi-mic/input recording, a great piece of technology.

https://youtu.be/ggubP1ZTcqY (Me & the Devil Blues cover - YouTube link)
1 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom F8 live recording

Post by The Cracks » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Top notch video and sound. You run a great open mic it looks like. Musicians are good too.
1 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

still_fiddlin

Post by still_fiddlin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:40 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:22 pm
Top notch video and sound. You run a great open mic it looks like. Musicians are good too.
Thanks - first time I ever hosted an open mic, but I've recorded a couple there before.

The venue runs live music nearly every night of the week, with some great, small blues acts and others coming through. The open mics are well attended with a regular one on Thursday nights and Sundays scheduled when they don't have a band. I like the Sunday one because it's from 5-8, though usually runs to 9. North of Houston, not too far from the airport, so if you're ever in the area, check out Green Oaks Tavern in Humble (silent 'H' - seriously) TX.
1 x

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:44 am

Nice clear recording both visually and sound wise.

As I don't fly I'm unlikely to ever make to 'Umble ;) but out of interest I looked it up on Google Earth. The bar looks almost out of place and time (then again so do some of the other shops!) An interesting exercise though and it's good to see where others are.
1 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here