Call Me original/PSRE403/Taylor/SP1 mic/Cl1/Mixcraft 5 - Corrected drums(?)

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Call Me original/PSRE403/Taylor/SP1 mic/Cl1/Mixcraft 5 - Corrected drums(?)

Post by The Cracks » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:09 pm

Edit: I corrected the drums putting the snare on beats 2 & 4. I think they hit the mark. Some might be a tad behind the beat but I really can't tell.

Here is another one that started in the vault. I don't know when I originally recorded the song but it had two acoustic guitar tracks, a drum track, and the lyrics. I think I probably did it two years ago. I opened it back up on Sunday but just couldn't get the mix right. I tried adding some piano, bass guitar, organ and a new guitar track but I still couldn't get the mix right so I just rerecorded the entire song over again yesterday and made it primarily a piano song rather then a guitar song. I put the final touches on today. It starts out at a slower tempo then picks up speed rather quickly. I didn't notice I did that until the deal was sealed. It didn't turn out too bad. I decided to keep it short.

I used my PSRE403 keyboard for all instruments other then guitars. The keyboard went into Mixcraft 5 via Cl1 interface.
Guitars (two tracks) are my Big Baby Taylor acoustic. I played two separate tracks into Mixcraft 5, through the SP1 mic, via Cl1 interface.
I recorded two separate vocal tracks into Mixcraft 5, through the SP1 mic, via Cl1 interface.
All tracks mixed in Mixcraft 5.

Here is:

Call Me

Thanks for any listens and comments.
Last edited by The Cracks on Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Call Me original/PSRE403/Taylor/SP1 mic/Cl1/Mixcraft 5

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:24 am

Sean,
This has got a rich bottom end that suits your voice. The catchy, repetitious chorus will be in my head. I like the subtle guitar too. Glenn

P.S. Whatever happened to the song contest with "Maryland, My Maryland"?
0 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:36 am

Works for me :)

A good hook and a clean recording.

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks for listens and comments Glenn and Dick.

Glenn, the battle of the State Song goes on. The fight has lasted longer than the actual Civil War. :nuts:

Dick, I was rather surprised how clean it sounds. Clean recordings aren't one of my fortes.

Nobody mentioned my telephone answer of "Hello". It was a nod to Pink Floyd's song that has the guy answering the phone and then hanging up on his lady friend that is calling him. :rock:
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:47 pm

The Cracks wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Nobody mentioned my telephone answer of "Hello". It was a nod to Pink Floyd's song that has the guy answering the phone and then hanging up on his lady friend that is calling him. :rock:
I love the use of this sound effect!!! :applause:
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Call Me original/PSRE403/Taylor/SP1 mic/Cl1/Mixcraft 5 - Corrected drums(?)

Post by Jim_Fogle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Wow. I listened to the original and the remix. The song has a completely different feel to me. You did a great job following the tempo change at the beginning of the song.

Excellent work on the song. I'm glad you pulled it out of the vault.
Last edited by Jim_Fogle on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Thank you for the listen and comments and lesson, Jim. I appreciate it.

I never knew the snare fell on 2 & 4. I think I hit the mark on the remake. I think the snare is only slightly behind on just one beat. It is almost imperceptible.

I can't tell you how many times I tried doing the drums over and I almost just put the song back up without drums. But I really wanted the beat to be right. The fact that I actually did a rerecording is amazing to me. I almost never do that. And while I was in there I fiddled with the EQ a bit. The sound was near peaking at some points (and may still be, but it sounds better, I think).

Thanks again Jim. I appreciate it.
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Lungfruit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:55 pm

I agree that the snare gives the song a different, more upbeat feel. I like it. It's interesting how some little changes have a huge impact on a piece.
1 x