MRS-1608/R16 Data Compatibility

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
larus3db
new to this board
new to this board

MRS-1608/R16 Data Compatibility

Post by larus3db » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:06 pm

Greetings All…………………
I am trying to load a 156Mb project on to my Zoom MRS-1608 that had originally been recorded on a Zoom R16.
Unfortunately, I do not have a USB card in my 1608 so I am attempting to load the project using the CD-R/RW drive.
Following the instructions on page 163/164 of the 1608 manual (Loading a Project from CD-R/RW disc) I get as far as Step 5, (pressing the “Enter” key) and the CD drive draw opens and I get the “LOAD InsDisc1” message again.
So, it looks as though the 1608 is not reading the files on the CD-RW disk.

The project folder (PROJ000) that I have burnt on to the CD-RW disk (from the R16 memory card) contains:
An “Audio” folder consisting of the .WAV files (MONO-000.WAV to MONO-007.WAV)
An “EFXDATA.ZDT” file
A “PRJDATA.ZDT” file

I have tried:
Setting up the CD-RW disk before burning the data “like a USB flash drive”
Setting up the CD-RW disk before burning the data “for use with a CD/DVD player”
Burning just the “Audio” folder only (containing the eight .WAV files)
Burning just the eight .WAV files

However, whatever I try the 1608 will not load the files.

This may be the result of an incompatibility between the R16 files and the 1608, or……….
Operator error!

Any ideas anybody?
0 x

codekiddie

Re: MRS-1608/R16 Data Compatibility

Post by codekiddie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:44 pm

The project files of an MRS-1608 are not stored as .WAV files, and the load project function is only used to reload a project that was previously saved from the MRS-1608.
If you take a look at page 217 of the manual, you will see the format of a project folder, and is completely different from the R16.

A while ago I wrote a file converter so that the MRS files could be converted to .WAV files, (at a fraction of the speed of the Zoom program), and I added an import function which converted the .WAV files into the Zoom proprietary files so maybe that will help you. You can download the program here:

Zoom Converter

The .ZIP file contain the program and an extensive help file in .PDF format.

Hope this helps, and give us a shout if you have any questions.

Phil
0 x

larus3db
new to this board
new to this board

Post by larus3db » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Phil,

Thanks for your prompt and informative reply.
I will have a play during the week and let you know how I get on.

(Is it me, or do others have problems re Zoom user manuals?)

Regards,
David.
0 x

larus3db
new to this board
new to this board

Post by larus3db » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks for the copy of the “Zoom Converter” programme and the associated user instructions.
It worked well and it has helped me to understand further the way the two devices (MRS1608/R16) work.

Unfortunately the 1608 will still not load the converted files (TRACKx_0.DAT etc) using the “Load Project” function via the CD-R/RW drive.

I think that there could be two or so reasons why I cannot achieve my goal, but I do not have the knowledge to follow these up

• When I back-up a project on CD-R/RW from the 1608 I can see other files on the CD with the following extensions .ZSD, .INF, .INI, .SEQ, .ZSP. I understand that some of these file extensions are associated with RHYTHM and SAMPLER data etc, but what I don’t know is if I need any further data associated with any of those file extensions to expedite the loading of the “TRACK” data?
• I do not have any problems with re-loading back-up data that has been down-loaded from the 1608.What I have noticed though is that the “File System” applied to the CD-R/RW back-up from the 1608 is “CDFS”, but the “File System” on the CD-R/RW burnt on my PC is “UDF”! Could this be one/the reason why the CD-R/RW drive in the 1608 fails to load the data? I cannot see ant way of changing the File System from UDF to CDFS on my PC CD drive!

Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated!
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:55 am

Hi David.

I'm not sure whether or not any of the other project files reference the audio data files on the MRS-1608, but I think not.
Because of this, I would try starting a new project from the MRS, without adding any tracks, then backing up the project to disk.

Next add your newly converted TRACKx_0.DAT files to this project, and then import this modified project back to the MRS to see if the tracks then appear in the project.

I have successfully achieved the same result you are after, using this method, on my MRS-1044.

Let me know how you get on.

Phil
0 x

larus3db
new to this board
new to this board

Post by larus3db » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your input again!
I’m not there yet but I think I am getting closer.

As suggested, I created a new project on the 1608 and then backed it up on a CD-RW disk.
I then re-loaded the project on to the 1608 to make sure that it was all ok, no problem!

I then tried to add the .DAT files associated with the converted audio data (as suggested) on my PC but noticed that:
(1) The CD-RW disk (700Mb) was full even though the back-up data was only 6.46Mb, so I could not add the .DAT files.
(2) The 1608 had “burnt/processed” (excuse the terminology) the CD-RW disc as a CDFS “file system” which appears to have “used/finalised” (again, excuse the terminology) the rest of the available space on the CD-RW disc.

So, I think that I may have a file system incompatibility issue between my PC running Windows 7 (UDF) and my 1608 (CDFS)?

In an attempt to find a solution, I burnt another CD-RW disc on my PC, which contained the .DAT (converted audio) files and the files from the back-up (.ZSD, .INF, .INI, .SEQ, .ZSP. etc).
I chose the “compatible with CD/DVD” option when I burnt the CD-RW disc, but it still burnt the UDF “file system”.
When I tried to re-load the back up on to the 1608 it did not recognise the CD-RW disc!

I went through the process again using another CD-RW disc, but this time selected the “Like a USB” option when I burnt the CD-RW disc……..Still no luck……..And it was still a UDF file system!

I did it all again using a CD-R this time and selecting the “CD/DVD compatible” when I burnt the disk.
Again, the 1608 did not recognise the CD…..….And my PC still decided to apply the UDF file system.

Re the “File System Options” offered when burning a CD/DVD in Windows 7, I thought selecting the “Like a USB” option would apply the UDF file system, and selecting the “Compatible with CD/DVD Players” option would apply the CDFS file system?

Conclusion (not necessarily correct one’s):
• I imagine that because the 1608 burns a CDFS file system on to a back-up disc, it is expecting the same when you re-load a back-up?
• Because (my?) Windows 7 “CD/DVD format” options drop-down box only offers various versions of the UDF file system, I either need some form of conversion (UDF to CDFS) or an upgrade that I have not found out about yet!!!

Comments gratefully accepted!

David.
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi David.

On page 70 of the manual it says that you can import a WAV/AIFF audio file from the CD drive. Have you tried that? The 'Basic Phrase Loading' it refers to is on page 68.
It seems to expect the .WAV files to be located on the 'root' of the CD i.e. not in a sub-folder.

Not really had time to thoroughly read the manual, so not sure if it will help or not :?
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:20 pm

I think part of the issue might be the storage media you are using. Some CD burner/readers have difficulty reading files burned to CD R/W (reusable) storage media even though the device is certified to work with the media. I've used Sony, Toshiba, LG and Samsung CD burners and all have difficulty using CD R/W media more often than not.

Try changing the media to CD ROM. Use the original CD standard of 680 (?) instead of the newer but available 700 MB standard. Reduce the burn rate down to 1X to 4X and have the program verify the data after the burn. Remember it dowsn't matter if your pc burner can read the CD. Zoom had to build a system driver for the burner and the driver may be built to a minimal standard where everything has got to be "just right and the way Zoom wants it to be.

Here is an article that discusses differences between UDF and CDFS files: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... df-to-cdfs

Good luck!
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD