Zoom Flagship

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Re: Zoom Flagship

Post by Nhoj » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:53 am

that would be awesome feature
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:21 pm

With more extensive application of input level as a mod source, there could be things like triggered LFO, where when the input level breaks a user-set-threshold, the LFO starts at a particular user-set phase.

Similarly, there could be a input level/threshold triggered envelope (or two).

As for direct use of the input level to control parameters, if the control stream could be set in terms of "granularity" (i.e., how deftly it rides the input level)-- as I referred to before, a kind of "smoothing" setting. Then all kinds of interesting things could be controlled-- like filters, dynamics, pitch, pan-- which could have implications for things like soft signals going through one chain, and loud signals going through another.

With MIDI i/o, you could have some intelligent polyphonic pitch-to-MIDI (a la MIDImorphosis) to transmit notes out as well as any switch & pedal info; then use MIDI in for patch change and parameter control.

I like the form-factor of the G3n, where you can add a pedal if you want one. I wouldn't even mind if the flagship was fairly small. But it would need to be large enough to accommodate sufficient i/o. 4 outs, 2 ext inserts, and maybe six full assignable buttons.

I like that in the G3n, I can completely avoid a looper. With the Pod HD500, the looper is always active and I have even turned it on by accident on a few occasions. god I hate that.
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 am

I should mention that the Lexicon MPX-1 had incredible modulation capabilities. Not a very easy rig to learn, but deep as you can imagine.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:16 pm

stubbsonic wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 am
I should mention that the Lexicon MPX-1 had incredible modulation capabilities. Not a very easy rig to learn, but deep as you can imagine.
im really curious if Zoom will still update the current model, its been october no updates yet
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:22 am

I wouldn't hold your breath, Nhoj. If there aren't any glaring issues with the G3n, they probably would prioritize other products. Sometimes when they do a firmware release, they solve a bug, and add something that might have been finished after the initial release. Have you run the computer software to see if they've added any modules?
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:17 pm

I was at the website earlier today and firmware still says 2.0, so no updates. I think someone else pointed this out, but their home page doesn't even have anything about multi effect pedals on it, just the recording stuff. At least the North American site doesn't, it looks like the Japan site does have an acoustic multi effect pedal, but it's the last thing listed. They may be stepping down on the multi effects. As Asia once said, Only time will tell.
1 x
Beatnick's personal YouTube channel

Beatnick's Odyssey can be found on
CDBaby YouTube Spotify Amazon Apple Music Google SoundCloud
Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:41 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:22 am
I wouldn't hold your breath, Nhoj. If there aren't any glaring issues with the G3n, they probably would prioritize other products. Sometimes when they do a firmware release, they solve a bug, and add something that might have been finished after the initial release. Have you run the computer software to see if they've added any modules?
from what were seeing right now , seems the direction of Zoom is on PA and video recording gear, they are now going on PA expos and conventions
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:42 am

Beatnick wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:17 pm
I was at the website earlier today and firmware still says 2.0, so no updates. I think someone else pointed this out, but their home page doesn't even have anything about multi effect pedals on it, just the recording stuff. At least the North American site doesn't, it looks like the Japan site does have an acoustic multi effect pedal, but it's the last thing listed. They may be stepping down on the multi effects. As Asia once said, Only time will tell.
Were not expecting anything maybe the last multu effects is G3Xn and G3n and its still new
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:45 am

btw the one maybe were if Marco Sfogli will share his patch used in Music China 2018
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:36 am

To take this topic a little sideways, on the synth forums, there has been an ongoing conversation about whether there is no longer sufficient demand for a keyboard workstation. I suppose the keyboard workstation is a bit like the "flagship" effects, in a way. A workstation often combines a multi-timbral synth (plays different sounds on all 16 channels), a sampler (but not always), and a full-featured on-board sequencer. The workstation is versatile and can be the center of a studio, or a powerful on-stage instrument.

With guitar effects, (as with synths), there is a competitive feeling about whether analog devices are better than digital emulations. There are sonic difference to be sure, but with time those differences are shrinking. And the advantages of a fully digital system are obvious-- huge variety of tones, quick recall of presets of complex sounds, and all-in-one devices.

With flagship effects, I imagine they are a much more popular type of device. The question is whether there is room in the market for a diverse range of manufacturers. I don't think there is a perfect flagship out there. I suppose a pretty wonderful setup could be achieved by combining some devices. The big surprise to me is how over-rated Line6, Boss and Digitech are and how under-rated Zoom is. Still, I could get by with any of their boxes.
0 x

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:41 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:36 am
The big surprise to me is how over-rated Line6, Boss and Digitech are and how under-rated Zoom is. Still, I could get by with any of their boxes.
maybe a new Zoom flagship with new features not ever done before by over-rated brands you mention will make Zoom standout more
Last edited by Nhoj on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:29 am

When the 505 came out people saw it as a cheap multi effect pedal and nothing more. I loved it, I traded my Ibanez PT-3 to get it, but most people put it down. Unfortunately, many people just assume since the Zoom pedals are cheaper, they sound cheap. Just like they assume a cheap guitar is crap, even though we've come way past that stage that cheap=bad sound. When I look back at the 505, I think the biggest issue was the amp simulator. They just weren't there yet. While you could tweek and get a good tone out of it by itself, it really shined if you put the 505 in front of a good clean amp.
0 x

Feel free to search your favorite streaming site if it's not listed. I do not know all the ones I was put on.

Nhoj
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Nhoj » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:34 am

Beatnick wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:29 am
When the 505 came out people saw it as a cheap multi effect pedal and nothing more. I loved it, I traded my Ibanez PT-3 to get it, but most people put it down. Unfortunately, many people just assume since the Zoom pedals are cheaper, they sound cheap. Just like they assume a cheap guitar is crap, even though we've come way past that stage that cheap=bad sound. When I look back at the 505, I think the biggest issue was the amp simulator. They just weren't there yet. While you could tweek and get a good tone out of it by itself, it really shined if you put the 505 in front of a good clean amp.
Thats the truth, the proof is my experience , i dont how zoom upgraded their tech until i got the N unit , i can say that its true, try the unit first yourself and youll find out how good it sounds

Your right about the impression of affordability, its like a misconception

Overrated vs Underrated Concept is still going on
1 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:52 pm

Though, there are solid reasons why some better products are much more expensive. For example, I have a Lexicon MPX-1 which was expensive when it first came out. Great converters, absolutely stunning reverbs, impressive pitch shifting, and so much more. Nothing I've got in a cheaper effect device comes close.

The question with less expensive units is why is it cheaper. And there could be many factors which will have no negative effect on sound quality, and some that might, but only slightly. They might have very skilled programmers working for less money, or they may have used designs that eliminate parts-- cutting corners on some fidelity enhancements or faster processors-- goodbye reverb/delay tails, etc.

Of course, there are plenty examples of where something isn't worth the high price tag.

Fortunately, Line 6, Digitech, Boss, and especially Zoom, all have pretty reasonable prices. And some companies that are asking for more, are boutique companies that make great products.
0 x

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 am

My two Zoom multi-effects both have a nice way of not imposing an effect order or pre-determined approach. Apart from forcing things to be serial, I can choose any order, and even repeat instances of effects as needed (within the limits of overall number and processing power). It seems like the others have trouble not imposing some kind of fx order or path on you, even if you can change it around. That may not be true of all of them.

I do like that the Boss box I have doesn't impose the "knobs of the stomp" on me. It provides all the logical parameters to adjust. The G3n has intense limits on what can be adjusted, and those limitations are imposed by the structure they chose. It's kind of understandable-- but when they try to avoid having too much menu diving, they reduce the tweakability. I don't mind menu diving if it means I'll get the sound I want.
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:02 am

stubbsonic wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 am
The G3n has intense limits on what can be adjusted, and those limitations are imposed by the structure they chose. It's kind of understandable-- but when they try to avoid having too much menu diving, they reduce the tweakability. I don't mind menu diving if it means I'll get the sound I want.
Most effects only need 2 or 3 parameters to adjust. The more knobs a pedal has, the less playing a person does because they are too busy tweaking.
0 x

Beatnick
been here a while
been here a while

Post by Beatnick » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:52 am

Nhoj wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:34 am
Thats the truth, the proof is my experience , i dont how zoom upgraded their tech until i got the N unit , i can say that its true, try the unit first yourself and youll find out how good it sounds
I like almost all Zoom guitar processors. The G3 got a lot of praise from people too. I'm very happy with my R8 that I'm using to record with now too (I just don't like having pedals all over my bedroom floor, so the R8 works better for me). Dynamic playing is not as good as the G3n, but it's still good. From what I've heard it's basically the same processor as the G2 on the R8.
0 x