Importing Drum Patterns

All flavors of Zoom MRS gear discussed here, including MRS-8, 1044, 1266, 1608, etc.
Toyguitar

Re: Importing Drum Patterns

Post by Toyguitar » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:17 pm

codekiddie, what a completely amazing and useful thing for you to create and share. Thank you!

Eddie
1 x

Smurf
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Smurf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:44 pm

Thank You!
0 x
H2, MRS-4, MRS-1044

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:50 am

Smurf wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:44 pm
Thank You!
you're welcome :drum:
0 x

jazi4x
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jazi4x » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Please could you consider adding Zoom R24 to you softwares.
Thanks
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:27 pm

jazi4x,

It never hurts to ask and CodeKiddie has made some astonishing software but I think it is fair to warn you that what you're asking just may not be possible. The Zoom R8 and R24 handle audio files in a completely different manner than the PS and MRS recorder series.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:55 pm

jazi4x wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:48 pm
Please could you consider adding Zoom R24 to you softwares.
Thanks
I tried what I believe is an R24 ‘rhythm.seq’ file with the program, and it correctly read the patterns in the file, so it looks like it may already be compatible with the R24, so give it a go.

As far as the audio file converter goes, since the R24 already saves the files in .WAV format, you don’t need that application anyway.

Hope this helps.
0 x

jazi4x
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jazi4x » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi codekiddie ,
Thanks for your reply - I tried a few ‘rhythm.seq’ files and when I try to convert I always see
Song # Name Events
001 0
002 0
up to
010 0
and when I press Convert there is a message "Song #1 not found".
It would be great if you could help me with this.
Thanks
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 am

jazi4x wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:22 pm
Hi codekiddie ,
Thanks for your reply - I tried a few ‘rhythm.seq’ files and when I try to convert I always see
Song # Name Events
001 0
002 0
up to
010 0
and when I press Convert there is a message "Song #1 not found".
It would be great if you could help me with this.
Thanks
If you would like to send me a file I can have a look at some point, so see if there are any differences in the files from the MRS series of recorders.
0 x

jazi4x
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jazi4x » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi codekiddie ,
I have attached 2 files with BFA_SONG_ and PE_SONG_ added to RHYTHM.SEQ filename to distinguish between them.
Discovered that .seq extension is not allowed - so have zipped them into RHYTHM.SEQ_R24Examples.zip!
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:03 pm

I have passed both files through the program, and although it shows a ten song count, none of them have any song events in them.

Because of this I opened the files to look at them in binary form, and I can see the makeup of the file is exactly the same as with the MRS files, but there is no song data within the file. All that is there is the 512 byte header, (which is where it indicated the ten song count), followed by the 511 rhythm patterns built into the R24, which are copied into every Ryhthm.SEQ file in the same way as the MRS series.

Are you sure you have built up a song with some drum pattern data in it, because as I say, there is no data in this file to show for it.

I can find no info online as to what files are present in an R24 project, to say whether or not the drum song data is held elsewhere on an R24 project, but it would seem to be a strange thing for Zoom to do, since they kept the file for its other purposes, so why re-invent the wheel???

Maybe you can enlighten me as to the files present in a project that has a drum track included.
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Phil,

Your answer helped me to realize jazi4x MAY be trying to do the same thing I've wanted to do for a long time but was never able to phrase the question correctly.

jazi4x, if I'm highjacking your thread I apologize in advance.

Phil, is there a way to extract the data for the 511 built-in patterns and convert the patterns into midi data or some format where they can be copied or edited?

I use my MRS-8 drum machine as a metronome much of the time. I will find a pattern that compliments what I want to record and just let the drum machine repeat the selected built-in pattern.

I'm suspecting jazi4x might be doing something similar which is what prompted me to correctly phrase a question I've wanted to ask for a long time.
0 x
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

jazi4x
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jazi4x » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi codekiddie ,
To test things I started a new Project and assigned 4 stereo pairs to internal drum patterns as follows -
Tracks1+2 : Pattern000 8Beat01
Tracks3+4 : Pattern002 8Beat03
Tracks5+6 : Pattern013 16Beat02
Tracks7+8 : Pattern016 16Beat05
Then used Track Sequencer to record 20 Bars:
4bars of 8Beat1, 4 Bars of 8Beat3 , 2Bars of 16Beat02 , 4 Bars of 16Beat05 , 2 Bars of 16Beat02 , 4 Bars of 16Beat05.
Copied project files to PC and found RHYTHM.SEQ is exactly the same size as others that I posted above - 208,260 bytes and
the same hash too. So they are identical.
There are 3 files in the folder along with RHYTHM.SEQ , i.e.
EFXDATA.ZDT 39,032 bytes
PRJDATA.ZDT 15,644 bytes
SMPLSEQ.ZDT 262,192 bytes
Looking at another project these 3 other files have exactly the same size too but different hashes.
Guess the track sequencer data is not in RHYTHM.SEQ then.
I have zipped up this test project and attached it for you(I realise the R24 Date was wrong - it has been set correctly now).
Yes Jim_Fogle , it would be good to get the built in patterns in midi format and construct the Drums in a sequencer and
save as a midi file and then use Rhythm_Convert to put the midi file into R24 file so as to only have 2 tracks tied up to Drums if that is possible.
(I find it odd that users have to create a pair of tracks for every drum pattern they want to use in a song.
I know you can bounce to wav - but what about when you want to make changes to the song structure!!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

codekiddie

Post by codekiddie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:20 am

Well.

I have binary compared all three Ryhthm.SEQ files you have sent me, and as you say they are identical.

Also from what you have just told me, the R24 doesn't seem to have the capability of creating a rhythm song, just rhythm patterns. The rhythm song that the MRS series creates is part of the rhythm.SEQ file, so no surprise really when I found all three of yours to be identical, and missing any song data.

After you have recorded the 20 bars, are the drums then available to you on one of the tracks as a .WAV file? If not how do you retrieve what the track sequencer does?

To be honest not only is it eight years since I wrote the code, (so it might take me a little while to remember/work out what I did), I am also in the middle of having just started a new job AND moving house as well to where the job is located, so my time at the moment is very much at a premium.

If I can find a little time one evening, I will have a look over the code, and see if I can decode what your other files hold, but that was the hardest part of writing the converters in the first place.

Writing code is easy, reverse engineering a data file takes a lot longer. :cry:
0 x

jazi4x
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jazi4x » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:53 am

Hi codekiddie ,
In order to get a .wav file you need to bounce the drum assigned tracks to a spare stero pair and then you can delete the assigned tracks to free up tracks.
The whole approach is odd - assigning multiple tracks to Drum Patterns and then bouncing down as it means if you decide to change the structure of the song you have to start again with the drums. The biggest problem being that by then most of the tracks have been used up and there is no room to create the multiple drum pattern assigned pairs. I do not understand why they could not have let users work with 1 stereo pair assigned to drums and let users sequence different patterns in turn.
There is no way to export the sequencer data as far as I know , or to import drum patterns. The only thing you can do is to create new drum patterns
and you are able to copy drum patterns from one project to another.
If you find the time to solve this it would be really great! - good luck with your move and new job.
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi Phil,

New job, moving and new home; ugh! I don't envy you a bit. Hard to believe your program is seven years old. It has aged well.

Much success in your new position and I hope you make many fond memories in your new home.
0 x
Zoom MRS-8