Can I record a backup on the SD card while in an audio interface?

Discuss the Zoom H6, H5, H4, H4n, H2, H2n, and H1. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
jeffpdx
new to this board
new to this board

Can I record a backup on the SD card while in an audio interface?

Post by jeffpdx » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:39 am

Hello,

I have a Zoom H6. It's plugged in to my computer and when I make a recording for my podcast I have GarageBand running on my mac capturing all the audio. Can I have the SD card in the Zoom recording and saving the audio while I also have it recording and saving in GarageBand on my computer? I want to create an automatic backup on the card while I am recording it on my mac.

Thanks for the help!
0 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Can I record a backup on the SD card while in an audio interface?

Post by Jim_Fogle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:44 pm

My first thought was the answer is likely no but I found a sentence in the product description on Zoom's website that gives me hope:
There’s also a handy Loop Back mode that allows you to blend stereo signal coming from the computer or iPad with signal coming into the H6 inputs, useful for live streaming via the Internet or for adding narration to a musical backing track.
However, I haven't looked through the owner's manual to discover how to use Loop Back mode.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

jeffpdx
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jeffpdx » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:56 pm

Okay, I'm not exactly sure what that loop back mode is but if it can do the job please let me know.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:16 pm

jeffpdx wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:56 pm
Okay, I'm not exactly sure what that loop back mode is but if it can do the job please let me know.
You could probably try it and get an answer faster than waiting for us to interpret the manual description (not all of us have the same access to the hardware -- my only field recorder is the H2n).

However, based upon page 71 of the manual, it will not work for what you want -- it will not record ON the H6. What it will do is mix the H6 inputs (microphones) with computer audio, and send the mix /back/ to the computer. For example, the computer is running an MP3 player (say), with the H6 I/F as the output device, the H6 microphones are used by the "announcer/DJ", and the mix is then sent back to the computer where some OTHER software is configured for H6 I/F as input device, and using computer speakers/disk drive/internet stream as its output device.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

jeffpdx
new to this board
new to this board

Post by jeffpdx » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:25 am

I emailed Zoom and this is what they said:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your question. Unfortunately you will not be able to record to the SD card while in audio interface mode. I apologize for any inconvenience.
0 x

sciurius

Post by sciurius » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:11 pm

This may be a shot in the wild, not having an H6, but my H2n has a line out which is connected to the XY mics, regardless whether it is recording or not. I often use this to make recordings on the H2n while simultaneously recording the same audio with the PC or R24.
Why? During recording sessions the H2n is continuously recording everything while the R24 records the takes.

Note that the Zoom answer referred to "Audio I/F mode". That's different.
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:15 pm

sciurius wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:11 pm
This may be a shot in the wild, not having an H6, but my H2n has a line out which is connected to the XY mics, regardless whether it is recording or not. I often use this to make recordings on the H2n while simultaneously recording the same audio with the PC or R24.
Why? During recording sessions the H2n is continuously recording everything while the R24 records the takes.

Note that the Zoom answer referred to "Audio I/F mode". That's different.

Using the line-out (and computer line-in) means your signal flow is:

Analog -> digital (H2n) -> Analog (line-out -> line-in) > digital (computer)

IE; three conversions
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

sciurius

Post by sciurius » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:15 am

True. But as discussed earlier in another thread I once compared a couple of recordings and found no differences.
I tested this by adding the signals in counterphase wich led to a practically zero result. As far as I can tell this indicates that the loss due to the conversions is neglectible.

This may be my H2n, YMMV.
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)