Let's Make Love, org/Big Baby Taylor, PSRE403, Band-in-a-Box, SP1 mic, Cl1 inteface, Mixcraft 5

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Let's Make Love, org/Big Baby Taylor, PSRE403, Band-in-a-Box, SP1 mic, Cl1 inteface, Mixcraft 5

Post by The Cracks » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:49 pm

It felt like the old 2090.org Zoom forum today. I was sitting around watching the NCAA basketball game and decided I wanted to record a new song, so I worked this one up. I've been listening to a lot of Buddy Holly lately so this is kind of a Buddy Holly song that is sung by a 61 year old man to an older woman.

I originally worked the song up on my Big Baby Taylor acoustic guitar and then transposed the chord progression onto Band-in-a-Box. I then transported the wav drum track and two guitar tracks (one acoustic and one electric - neither are very audible in the mix) from the Box to Mixcraft 5. I then recorded two separate Big Baby Taylor acoustic guitar tracks into Mixcraft 5 by playing the instrument into the SP1 mic via the Cl1 interface. I then recorded two separate piano tracks, the bass guitar track, two string tracks, and the solo drum beat during the bridge, into Mixcraft 5 from my Yamaha PSRE403 keyboard, via Cl1 interface. I then recorded three separate vocal tracks into the SP1 mic to the Mixcraft 5 via the Cl1 interface.

All in all I am pretty happy with the song. It took me only a few hours so it was an afternoon well spent.

Here is:

Let's Make Love (Bandcamp)

Let's Make Love (soundclick)

Thanks for any listens and comments.
1 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

mcdaggett
member in good standing
member in good standing

Re: Let's Make Love, org/Big Baby Taylor, PSRE403, Band-in-a-Box, SP1 mic, Cl1 inteface, Mixcraft 5

Post by mcdaggett » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:53 am

Nice, innocent feel good-song. With drums and piano providing such a steady rhythm, maybe the bass deserves its own, more fluent melody? Personally, I would have added backing vocals to the "Ew we" part, but then again, I could never come up with a song like this myself. Dig it. Ew we!
1 x

Lungfruit
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Let's Make Love, org/Big Baby Taylor, PSRE403, Band-in-a-Box, SP1 mic, Cl1 inteface, Mixcraft 5

Post by Lungfruit » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Sean,
Much faster tempo than your usual stuff. A nicely crafted song that kept me tapping my foot the whole time. I like the whole mix. I agree with doubling the "Ew we" chorus. I tried out a Big Baby Taylor at my local Guitar Center. It's a sweet playing guitar. Than again I'm a Taylor fan. I didn't buy it because I'm in the market for a 12 string acoustic. What's the significance of the prison door picture?
Glenn
1 x
The Jam Lab; Strayed From The Path https://soundcloud.com/strayed-from-the-path

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:13 pm

Thanks for listens and comments mcdaggett and Glenn. I appreciate it very much.

Yes, I could have done some more vocals on chorus. The song had about nine or 10 individual tracks and I wanted to wrap the song up in one day so I had to have a cut off point some place. I still enjoy this hobby/craft/art of songwriting and recording, but I just don't have it in me to labor over any one song for very long any more. I'm primarily (in my mind) a lyricist. I do the instrumentation only because I don't have a band. I do the best I can with it.

Glenn, yes, this is a faster song then my latest offerings. I wanted to get back into a "full band" sound (or as close to it as I can get with my limited abilities (see above statement). The prison door photo is actually a bank vault door and it's from my last album "The Vault". Bandcamp made me put in an album cover so I used the vault door as a place holder until I can work up a new one.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Always a pleasure listening to your songs. I wish I could just "whip one out" in an afternoon during a basketball game.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Tipsy Librarians
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Tipsy Librarians » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:37 pm

Nice. I here what folks are saying about adding more vocals to the ew we bit, but I kinda like the sparser arrangement. Depends on what you are going for, I guess. Nice song, right to the point.
0 x
-----------
Sort of on recording hiatus, but a few songs available on bandcamp:
https://tipsylibrarians.bandcamp.com/

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:31 am

Jim - thanks. I appreciate that. Being able to write and record in short periods of time is what is keeping this hobby/art/craft alive for me. What with my aging computer that is slow and getting slower and my aging brain which is even slower than my computer, putting more time in any one project would be almost impossible at this point. :)

Thanks Tipsy. I appreciate the listen and comments. I'm primarily a lyricist with musician talents a distant (long distant) second. Arranging songs and recording and mixing them are very far behind the other two. But I do listen to suggestions and try to incorporate them into other recordings (in theory).
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:06 am

A few hours? I wouldn't have even got the guitar tuned in that time.

I could hear Buddy Holly doing this :)

Cheers

Dick
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:51 am

Good stuff. Good to hear something upbeat. I agree with adding more vocals to the ew we and I agree with Dick that it has a Buddy Holly sound to it. When I first started listening I knew it reminded me of someone, but I couldn't figure out who. When I saw Dick's comment it finally hit me.

I know what you mean about not wanting to spend a lot of time on a song anymore. I've gotten the same way. Just not enough hours in the day between 2 jobs. I actually started a new song a few weeks back and it really just needs vocals and a solo, but I ran out of time the day I was recording and just never got back to it after that first day. Didn't help that I got very sick for a while too.

I've been using an app called pixabay to find my pictures. Just type a word that fits what I am going for and see what comes up. All the pictures on that app are supposed to be public domain so you should be able to use them without someone saying you're infringing on copyrights.

Keep it up.
1 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks Dick and Nick for listens and comments. I appreciate it.

Yes, a Buddy Holly song for older people is what I had in mind so it's nice to no I hit that mark at least.
2 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu May 02, 2019 6:10 pm

Went back and listened to this again. Still amazes me you can "whip a song out" so fast. I like the sound of the mix. Very full sounding.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sun May 05, 2019 11:32 am

Jim, thank you (again). I appreciate it very much.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website