Live track L-20 monitor out balanced cable out?

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
groovedigger
new to this board
new to this board

Live track L-20 monitor out balanced cable out?

Post by groovedigger » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 am

I am going to run a cable to powerered monitors. I will use 1/4 to xlr male. Question and confusion is the diagram in manual shows a 1/4 inch ts at the L-20 but the manual describes the output is a “balanced” mono when using a monitor. Should I purchase cable with 1/4 inch TRS which is balanced. Again, the diagram shows a standard 1/4 when sending to speaker and I need to purchase several 1/4 to xlr short cables or adapters and want to get the right ones
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Re: Live track L-20 monitor out balanced cable out?

Post by Jim_Fogle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Another forum member may not have an answer unless they have the same requirement for the monitor output as you. So the definitive answer likely lies with Zoom tech support.

Since it is a 1/4" receptacle the receptacle hole is large enough that I suspect you can shine a strong flashlight into the receptacle and see if you see a reflection off one contact or two. Depending on how the receptacle is built if it does have two contacts they can be inline (one immediately behind the other) or with one rotated ninety degrees in relation to the other. One reflection indicates TS while two reflections TRS.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

groovedigger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by groovedigger » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:55 pm

Thanks I did send the question to zoom - hopefully they will shed some light on which cable is better. The L-20 monitor outs are in stereo for connection stereo headphones and their diagram shows to use a TRS connector which is typical for headphones. Now for monitors they state the same output for a single monitor is a “balanced mono” and in their diagram (in the manual) they show to plug in a standard 1/4 inch cable going to a monitor not a TRS cable which is balanced. I am going to buy adapters for 1/4 to xlr because my monitors like XLR. Question remains which adapter to buy
1 x

groovedigger
new to this board
new to this board

Post by groovedigger » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:01 pm

1 x

groovedigger
new to this board
new to this board

Answered by zoom Re: Live track L-20 monitor out balanced cable out?

Post by groovedigger » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:26 pm

Hello,

The output is balanced mono on the L-20 when the switch for that output is set to the speaker symbol. The graphic in the manual shows a TS connector, which could be used, but you will get a balanced connection with a TRS cable.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
CUSTOMER SUPPORT
zna_logo_140x40_1.gif
1 x

mkok
member in good standing
member in good standing

Post by mkok » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:45 am

Interesting to know. I’ve used this output myself to monitors with only TS and it has work well. Good to know this will work balanced as well
1 x