I've Waited My Whole Life For You, A lot of forgotten equipment, original, pop rock or new wave

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks
Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

I've Waited My Whole Life For You, A lot of forgotten equipment, original, pop rock or new wave

Post by Beatnick » Wed May 29, 2019 1:13 pm

This will probably get long. I finally got my new album out. It's called Perfect World and it's on my Bandcamp page. I'll be posting more of the songs from it later. While A Memory Ago was a collection of some of my older instrumentals, Perfect World is kind of a best of from my vocal tracks. I based it on opinions I have heard in the past and tried to keep my personal feelings out of it.

I am starting with the first song on the album. It was originally written in the early 90s and recorded in the mid 90s. This was before I was playing guitar so I did everything on a Technics KN-1000 keyboard which I really miss. The piano solo is mostly me. I recorded the solo in real time and went back and made a few adjustments with midi afterwards. It was only 1 or 2 notes that were a little off and then I had to midi the end part of the solo because I'm not that fast. I had a 2 channel mixer I bought at Radio Shack which I ran straight into a cassette recorder. In one channel I had my keyboard and the other channel I had microphone with an effect processor on it (not sure what one, it might have been an Ibanez PT-3 which I used for the delay). I recorded everything in real time, making adjustments to the mix and adding effects as I went along. If any of you remember MP3.com back in the day this song was on there and actually made it on the new wave charts on that site for a while. I can't remember the number, 40 something I think, so in a way this song was my biggest hit. πŸ˜…

About 8 or 9 years ago I put this song on my Tascam DP-01 8 track and layered some real guitar over it. I'm pretty sure I used a Zoom 505 II when I did that, but not 100% sure. I may have done some messing with the EQ when I did that too, but it's hard to say.

I think it sounds pretty good considering how it was recorded.

Listen to I've Waited My Whole Life For You
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Re: I've Waited My Whole Life For You, A lot of forgotten equipment, original, pop rock or new wave

Post by The Cracks » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:28 am

Complicated recording based on your comments but I really love the music of it. Like Flock of Seagulls stuff. The lyrics and vocals are good. I think the music could have been brought up a bit in the mix. But, all in all, a good song and good recording.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Re: I've Waited My Whole Life For You, A lot of forgotten equipment, original, pop rock or new wave

Post by Beatnick » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:30 am

Thank's. I've always felt the music could have been higher, especially during the solo, but the way it was originally recorded there was never an option to mix since it was pretty much recorded live, but without an audience. I had absolutely no multitrack capabilities at that time. In some ways it's better than some of my other recordings because I'm often too shy with my vocals and put them too deep into the mix.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously