zoom G7.1ut firmware

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
kwlee
new to this board
new to this board

zoom G7.1ut firmware

Post by kwlee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 am

Hi,

Need help on my G7.1ut! unable to boot. I suspect the firmware was corrupted. Does anyone still have the firmware?

Regards,
kw
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Re: zoom G7.1ut firmware

Post by Beatnick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:58 am

Was there ever a firmware update for it? I don't see any firmware on the Zoom site for that product and I think they usually keep the latest firmware available, even on discontinued products.

Have you tried doing a factory reset? Usually there's a sequence of buttons you can press to reset everything back to day one. I've had a couple units that would not boot and I did a factory reset and they worked fine, of course you lose everything you had stored on there if you do that. I've never had one, but it should be in the manual how to do that.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

kwlee
new to this board
new to this board

Post by kwlee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 am

Yes, there was a firmware. The latest rev is 1.06. I think this was too old that they have removed the online firmware.
I have tried the factory reset but nothing help. It just stucked at displaying the system ver1.06 forever.
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:08 am

Try emailing Zoom. I hope they can help. I hate when an old unit dies.
0 x
My YouTube channel

kwlee
new to this board
new to this board

Post by kwlee » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 am

Have emailed them. They said no longer support discontinued product :(
0 x

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:32 am

Dang. You might get lucky and find the firmware online if you search hard enough.
0 x
My YouTube channel

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:02 pm

kwlee wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 am
Have emailed them. They said no longer support discontinued product :(

You didn't mention which Zoom office you contacted, North America, United Kingdom or Japan.

Zoom's world headquarters is in Japan. I would contact other Zoom offices. Likely one or the other may still have the software. Here is contact information: https://www.zoom.co.jp/contact.

One last thing, I'm not familiar with the G7. I don't know if the firmware is contained in a programmable chip or not. If the firmware chip can not be reprogrammed then you're likely out-of-luck. It is difficult to find PROMs and EEPROMs of that vintage.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:52 am

You can try contacting the Japan one as Jim suggested. I did try that once, but it was just for a suggestion, not an actual problem. My thought was they were the main headquarters and I could skip the middle man, but the email came back saying I had to contact Zoom in my area. So I did email my suggestion to Zoom NA. They replied there were no updates planned for the unit I was asking about, but they would forward my suggestion to Zoom JP. πŸ™„
Last edited by Beatnick on Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My YouTube channel

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:49 pm

I keep a backup of G7.1ut firmwares locally, as i used to own that unit. They're only in windows format, so
if that's what you use, I might be able to help. Do you have a preferred version number ?
2 x

kwlee
new to this board
new to this board

Post by kwlee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Beatnick wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:52 am
You can try contacting the Japan one as Jim suggested. I did try that once, but it was just for a suggestion, not an actual problem. My thought was they were the main headquarters and I could skip the middle man, but the email came back saying I had to contact Zoom in my area. So I did email my suggestion to Zoom NA. They replied there were no updates planned for the unit I was asking about, but they would forward my suggestion to Zoom JP. πŸ™„
Yes, I did contact Zoom JP. Their respond are fast! but unfortunately they don't keep any backup on the firmware. Same thing they asked me to contact my local Zoom support :(
1 x

kwlee
new to this board
new to this board

Post by kwlee » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:29 pm

NucleusX wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:49 pm
I keep a backup of G7.1ut firmwares locally, as i used to own that unit. They're only in windows format, so
if that's what you use, I might be able to help. Do you have a preferred version number ?
Thanks NucleusX! :bow: I have send you my email address on private message
1 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:30 am

:^: Let us know how you go.
0 x

kwlee
new to this board
new to this board

Post by kwlee » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:28 am

Hi NucleusX, thanks for the firmware. But unfortunately still can't fix my G7.1ut :(. Tried multiple times to flash the firmware for few days! Only 1 successful attempt to erase and restore the firmware, but failed at resorting the patch!

So far checked all the voltages seems to be correct. 3.23V to the flash memory chip. I think I'll need a schematic diagram to further proceed the debug.
1 x

NucleusX
dues paid
dues paid

Post by NucleusX » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:34 am

Man that sux. 2 things (probably useless to you) come to mind. Could be wrong but my memory tells
me that the provided power adapter was an AC adapter for the valve tube rather than DC like usual ?
PSU section should have rectifier diodes and filter caps around it. Secondly, most Zoom pedals seem
to have 2 or 3 area's of the firmware that are updated. Example was a G2.1NU I had that required an
update to the "USB sub system" for USB3 to function properly first to subsequently allow an update
of the actual firmware. The general recommendation at the time was to perform the firmware update/s
over a USB2 connection and to make sure you where directly connected to the USB host PC, rather
than via a USB hub of some kind. The G2.1NU was a smaller unit in the same family as the G7.1UT, and
no doubt shares some of the internal hardware features of the G7.1UT. Zoom provided separate exe
update files for that unit, but I only had that one firmware file concerning the G7.1UT. Just cause I only
had 1 backed up firmware doesn't mean there wasn't more (such as a USB sub system update) provided
by Zoom at the time. I can't be sure honestly. My current Multistomps have 3 updatable components to
the firmware too, each with their own version numbers, but all seem to get updated from the one
executable now. Those have the ZFX4 DSP chip vs your ZFX3, so they're quite different anyway.

Not sure if any of that helps you, but maybe it can assist you to clue something further out.
1 x

kwlee
new to this board
new to this board

Post by kwlee » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:52 pm

Yes. It is an 15V ac adaptor. It actually measured 18V on my DM. But I think this is ok, as I also measured all the voltages at the output of regulator ICs seems to be correct.

Not sure about the firmware part. It might have few area of firmware like you said. When connected to the MIDI port(MIDI to USB) for firmware update. It can detect the system ROM "RomSys Revision 9031" can performing backup of the patches. But fail to erase the flash before rewriting it with the firmware.

So far I think I can rule out any problem on the power supplies and analog audio(op-amps, tube..etc) side. I suspect a faulty flash or MPU? Checking on the flash "M29W400DT-55N6" IC. It has a write/erase cycling spec of 100K! hard to believe that it when faulty. I also confirmed that the MPU is sending the "chip enable" signal to the flash during an "erase" operation.

My last resort will be trying to replace the flash IC. But soldering the 48pins TSOP chip wont be easy job! and it might not work if it need a firmware(RomSys Revision 9031?) to be programmed 1st.
0 x