R24 freezes on start-up screen

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
sjon
new to this board
new to this board

R24 freezes on start-up screen

Post by sjon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:08 pm

Hello.

I've had an R24 since November, but I've only used it sporadically. The first few times it worked fine. Last time, however, it froze on the start-up screen, the one that says "Ver= 1.12 ZOOM". I switched it off and on a couple of times and it seemed to right itself.

Today I turned it on again, after a couple of weeks without using it, and the same problem, except this time it didn't go away. I restarted at least 10 times, then on the 11th it suddenly started normally. I imported some files to a project via USB, but then when I went out of USB mode it froze again. I turned it off, tried to restart, another 5 attempts, same start-up screen thing and I gave up.

I e-mailed the seller and the distributor (I am in Spain). Let's see if they respond.

In the meantime, has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Simon
0 x

sciurius

Re: R24 freezes on start-up screen

Post by sciurius » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Probable causes may include:
- bad power supply (did you try with a differente power supply? With fresh batteries instead?)
- bad SD card (try booting without)
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

sjon
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sjon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:50 pm

OK, thanks. I'll try those solutions.
0 x

sjon
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sjon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:46 am

Right, it seems to be a problem with the card. It starts without the card, and it starts (showing "PRJ 000") with the card from my R8. However, my laptop reads the R24 card fine.

I was about to go out and spend €12 on a new power supply, but now I'm in doubt.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:26 am

Considering the unit can be powered from a DC adapter, USB (when used as card reader/control surface/audio interface -- I don't know what a pure high-output USB power supply [charger] does), and from batteries -- if it behaves the same with pretty much any power source, I'd go after the SD card as the first line of attack.

I'd say copy off anything you want to keep from the card, then use https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/ to reformat the card (use the OVERWRITE option, and if it is enable, the CHS adjustment). A quick format only wipes the File Allocation Table and resets the block bit-map; overwrite will actually zero every available block of the card and might detect if the card has bad sectors.

And, CLASS 4 or 6 is all that is needed, and may (at one time at least) be better. Class 10 cards were rated for streaming video -- that is, ONE FILE in continuous read or write on a freshly formatted card. Class 2/4/6 were rated for smaller files and handles fragmentation better (still image cameras with some images deleted). Since the unit creates a separate file for each track in use, that means lots of parallel smaller files are being accessed. A cheap Class 10 may only be able to keep the FAT and one data block "open" at a time -- reopening a "block" to append data really means finding a free block, erasing it, copying the existing data to it, and then appending... EACH time the "file" changes. Higher end cards can keep multiple data blocks "open" in parallel, resulting in less block reallocation/copying. Allocation blocks are multiple MB in size, so just changing even a project file (which is only a KB or so in size) recycles MBs of space.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

sjon
new to this board
new to this board

Post by sjon » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:13 am

Solved. I made a copy of the R24 card, formatted it, reloaded the files and now it works fine. Thanks!

Note: I hadn't seen the previous post when I wrote the above, so I just did a quick format, but I will bear it in mind if I have any more problems. Thanks again!
0 x

hoodoo voodoo
dues paid
dues paid

Post by hoodoo voodoo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:03 am

Wulfraed.....following on from your formatting advice, would formatting the SD card within the Zoom itself, using the onboard 'Format' command, be as effective ( or less so) as formatting in the computer using the full overwrite method that you've outlined above ?

Is formatting within the Zoom perhaps on a par with the 'quick format' utility from the sdcard.org folk .....and less effective than a complete overwrite using that same utility ?
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:57 pm

The device may still try to format the card just because it doesn't find the basic directory structure, or it may just create the directories.

Main thing is if SD Formatter offers the CHS adjustment (it has a check box for it, but none of my recent uses had it enabled). What that does is attempt to change some meta-data so the device is optimized for "cylinder/head/sector" type access (LBA access may not matter). And the overwrite format should access every block on the device so if it is failing something might be detected, or mapped out of the bitmap.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards