Tracks disappearing R16

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
Foxman
new to this board
new to this board

Tracks disappearing R16

Post by Foxman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi all. Noobie here. Bought a brand new R16 - having so much fun as a keyboard player. Loaded some drums on track 1, strings on 2 and 3, bass (keyboard voice) on 4 and vocals on 5. Listened to it countless times during the day and all was good. Went to play it again in the evening and only vocals on track 5 can be heard. I’ve moved all faders, sliders, knobs and buttons, checked headphone and master volumes etc… I just can’t hear anything other than vocals on 5. The green track lights come on but that’s all. I took the SD card out and put it in the PC and the tracks are all there and can be heard. Back in the R16, and nothing. The only other thing I did was to press the EQ button and scroll down thru the options…I did not change any settings that I’m aware of and certainly did not push record again. Any suggestions? Thanks guys. (I have six other songs on the card, recorded with drums, keyboards and vocals and they all play back fine).
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Tracks disappearing R16

Post by Wulfraed » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:52 am

The first thing to check is if the files are still assigned to the tracks, and that they are the files you expected.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Foxman
new to this board
new to this board

Post by Foxman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:57 pm

appreciate the feedback Wulfraed, thank you. Would you mind elaborating on how I might do that? Sorry, not the most technical person here :)
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:24 am

R16 manual, page 23

Also be aware that the default for the R16 is to OVERWRITE files if you arm for record -- to avoid overwriting you must manually set the track to "not assign" so it creates a new file in that track.
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

sciurius

Post by sciurius » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:36 am

Or set Project > Rec > Rec Mode to "Always New".
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:45 am

sciurius wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:36 am
Or set Project > Rec > Rec Mode to "Always New".
Sorry -- that's on the R24, one of the "improvements" made from the R16 firmware. The R16 is always in OVERWRITE mode, and requires one to manually set the track to "NOT ASSIGN" to force a new file... EVERY TIME!
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

sciurius

Post by sciurius » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:14 am

Oops... Well I'm glad I did choose for an R24 then...

Why did you place "improvements" between quotes?
0 x
Zoom H2n, Zoom R24, Ardour, Audacity on Linux (Fedora)

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:11 am

Partly because they still didn't add inter-/intra- track editing features, while adding 8 more tracks to make up for the requirements of the track sequencer when used as a form of drum machine.

Granted, the first firmware of the BOSS BR-800 also lacked such editing, but the first software update restored it (pity they didn't also figure out how to fit the rhythm pattern editor into the 800 also -- the 600 had both pattern and arrangement editing, along with a "pitch map" pitch correction feature; the 800 just has arrangement editing, you have to use a computer to create patterns for it; yet it has a dot matrix LCD which could be used to emulate the computer pattern editor -- drums listed down the left, cursor across to where the hit should be, dial in the intensity...)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed