Zoom R8 track sequencing question

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
orem
new to this board
new to this board

Zoom R8 track sequencing question

Post by orem » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:49 am

Hi,

I have a question about using the track sequencer on the Zoom R8.

Let's say I have a 4-bar loop on track 1, and I want to do the following in the sequencer:

[loop > first 2 bars of the loop > silence]

I can do this easily enough by inserting the loop twice then deleting the last 2 bars of the second loop.

However, let's say I want to do this:

[silence > last 2 bars of the loop > loop]

This is where I'm having a problem because when I try to delete the beginning of a loop in the sequencer it deletes the whole loop. So I can repeat the beginning of it but not the end... Is this right? I'm really hoping I'm doing something wrong here because otherwise it makes the sequencing process very awkward and not very logical in my opinion.

I'm hoping a more experienced R8 user can give me some advice on this.

Thanks
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Zoom R8 track sequencing question

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:34 am

You'll probably need to create a duplicate of the loop file into another track, TRIM (away) the start of that file so only the last part remains (shifted to the start), and then use the sequencer to trigger the remaining part at the point you want it. The sequencer always triggers at the start of the file, and only the duration might be cut short.

I'd probably go back and trim the tail from the original loop, and then use the track sequencer to play the two parts sequentially -- so your first example would look like

T1T2T1<null>

and the second would be

<null>T2T1T2
1 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:05 pm

I'll have to play with mine when I have time. I've been trying to find ways to work around the limitations of the drum sampler. I hate the way you have to use up 1 track for each pattern. You're tracks left for recording instruments and voice can easily get eaten up by the drums. I'm trying my best to try and only use 2 tracks for drums and keep the drum tracks simple.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:02 am

Beatnick wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:05 pm
I'll have to play with mine when I have time. I've been trying to find ways to work around the limitations of the drum sampler. I hate the way you have to use up 1 track for each pattern. You're tracks left for recording instruments and voice can easily get eaten up by the drums. I'm trying my best to try and only use 2 tracks for drums and keep the drum tracks simple.
Set up your rhythm scheme as stand-alone (no recorded instruments/voice). Use as many tracks as feasible. THEN, when you have the layout of the song (included all measures/breaks) set in the sequencer -- bounce the sequencer output to a regular recording track, then free up the sequencer tracks (turn off the sequencer) and just rely on the playback of the bounced track (maybe stereo pair if you want the rhythm to have spatial [panned] width).
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

Beatnick
dues paid
dues paid

Post by Beatnick » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:26 pm

I thought about doing that. With the R8 it's kind of hard though. I think I would have been better off with the R24. If it weren't for the drums, the 8 tracks would be plenty. Of course, I am trying to simplify more instead of creating such elaborate drum parts like I used to, so I'll make it work.
0 x
My YouTube channel
Beatnick's Odyssey on Bandcamp
Beatnick's Odyssey on SoundCloud

Zoom equipment I currently own
G3n, G3, R8, G1, PS-04, 508, 505 II

It's only music, don't take it so seriously