Can't apply effect to master channel

Discuss the Zoom HD and R series. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
theenglishman
been here a while
been here a while

Can't apply effect to master channel

Post by theenglishman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Master track is assigned to master channel but when I try to apply an effect with Insert Effect I can't hear the track when it's in record mode. I can hear the track when in play mode. Sure I'm missing something simple as I've done this process loads of times without a problem :cry:
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Re: Can't apply effect to master channel

Post by Wulfraed » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:19 am

Which device? (Following presume R24 manual references)

I presume you are set for "wet" (page 87).

It is unclear exactly what you are describing -- is it RECORDING to MASTER with the effect, but you just can't monitor it, or is it failing to record the mix at all, and the playback is of a previously recorded MASTER?

What effect algorithm are you using? Since the MASTER is stereo, the only really viable algorithms are dual-mic (separate left/right setting), stereo (single settings for both sided), and mastering.

Is the effect "patch level" adjusted reasonably (page 83)
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed
IISS Elusive Unicorn (detached)

Superscope PSD-300; BOSS BR-600, Zoom HD16cd, Zoom R16, BOSS BR-800, Zoom H2n
Now to (re)learn to play an instrument

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

theenglishman
been here a while
been here a while

Post by theenglishman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not being more precise. Using R16 although I don't think that changes much. Yes, set for Wet and using mastering algorithm. I can play the master track but when I apply the effect I can't hear anything.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:34 am

Just for clarification: "I can't hear anything." Total silence, or do you mean you don't hear the effect?

Effect on the MASTER is /before/ the fader, ie: is applied to the mix of the /other/ tracks being sent to the master track for recording. It does not apply to what is already recorded on the master track. If you don't have the other tracks configured for playback, then there is nothing going into the effect...
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

Lanikai S-C, SMC-E; GoldTone Banjo-Uke; Flatiron 1C, A5; Big Muddy M1-W; Ovation MM68AX, CSE-44; Orpheus Valley Fiesta FS; Taylor NS-72ce, T5-S1; Musima (4st, 20 fret, tenor-tuned) banjo; bongos, dumbeks, bodhrans, hand drum, tambourine; recorder: soprano, alto, tenor; Cedar Flute (5 sizes); Pennywhistle (3 keys); Casio keyboards

theenglishman
been here a while
been here a while

Post by theenglishman » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks, all sorted :)
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:23 pm

theenglishman wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:46 pm
Thanks, all sorted :)
So... For anyone coming late with similar complaint, what was the solution?
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed

theenglishman
been here a while
been here a while

Post by theenglishman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:05 am

I'm sure there's a better way but this worked for me.
1. Created a new project and made the stereo link to tracks 7/8.
2. Assigned the master file to it (exported from Cubase or whatever)
3. Also assigned the master file to the master track.

The instructions in the user guide then worked for applying a mastering effect.
0 x

Wulfraed
The Force
The Force

Post by Wulfraed » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:18 pm

So, if I understand, you are playing a "non" master (the 7/8 linked tracks) THROUGH the effect and INTO the master track... Essentially what I described with "Effect on the MASTER is /before/ the fader, ie: is applied to the mix of the /other/ tracks being sent to the master track for recording"
0 x
--
Baron Wulfraed