The Greatest Rock and Roll story ever told.

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.

The Greatest Rock and Roll Story Ever Told

How a white trash kid named Elvis Presley rose from Tupelo, Mississippi to change music forever.
17%
How four lads from Liverpool turned on the world and changed music forever.
67%
How a black man named Chuck Berry created a sound that would influence white kids for decades to come.
17%
How The Rolling Stones have continued touring and recording through five decades.
No votes

Total votes: 6

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

The Greatest Rock and Roll story ever told.

Post by The Cracks » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:11 pm

What is the greatest rock and roll story ever told?
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:15 am

I demand a recount.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:35 pm

For me it’s a tie between…

* How the emergence of "the teenager" as an independent demographic coincided with the birh of a new musical genre.

* How a highly talented cute black child grew up to be a scary white women.

Just kidding. Can't decide. Maybe it should be "How white people steal black music and then take credit for it!" :lol:
I guess I'd go with... oh! Its' a tie!
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

Jeffster
The Force
The Force

Post by Jeffster » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:50 pm

Hmmm...I think they're all chapters of the same story...trick question, right?
0 x
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:10 pm

Okay, I’m going to be annoying and put my thought police hat on and request that the phrase “white trash” be reconsidered minus the racist undertone. :lol:

Actually, it’s true, but again… nonwhites are the target. The phrase was born out of a racist society that felt it necessary to specifically qualify “white” as opposed to what they considered the implicit or inherent trashiness of nonwhites and/or minorities living below the poverty line.

Off my soapbox!

Cracks, I know you didn’t mean any harm at all, but I assumed a sensitive guy like yourself would want to know if he were unknowingly offending people, and I thought the whole matter rather interesting. Besides, it use to be my job to offend! :^: Oh, if I could only talk about what's in the headlines today and what will likely be there for few..... but it's not related to music so I'll bite my tongue!!!!! :?

See ya later...
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:55 pm

I probably shouldn't have used that phrase. Poor kid would have been better. Elvis wasn't trash by any stretch of the imagination.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:38 pm

The Cracks wrote:I probably shouldn't have used that phrase. Poor kid would have been better. Elvis wasn't trash by any stretch of the imagination.
His movies were pretty trashy though. :lol:
0 x

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:46 pm

Poor Elvis never recovered after his stint in the military. Then The Colonial got him into those crappy movies and movie soundtracks. He really didn't come out of the tail spin until the '68 come back show, which was great. But it was too late. Time had already marched on.
0 x
My albums

My songs

My website

Tonto2
The Force
The Force

Post by Tonto2 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:15 am

Nice options!
8) & :look:
0 x
. .

Tonto2
Father/Daughter Team
_________________________________________________________________________________
. Homemade music made around the campfire, at the beach, or just about anywhere!
Our SoundClick Site ? Our 1st Forum Post ? Our Portable Recording Gear ? Our Favorite Keyboard Artist

stevo
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by stevo » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:57 am

Hi all! Got to be the Beatles for me, you read the official story & watch the Anthology series & its a story you couldn't write, so much went on in 8 short incredible years.

When you see that first photo of them on the balcony of that block of flats, then they returned 8 years later looking like old Men, having lived a lifetime in 8 years.

They left behind the kind of legacy that still perplexes me. Not knocking the other otions here, they're all legends in my book.

How about a shout for Robert Johnson too !
0 x

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:53 am

stevo wrote:Hi all! Got to be the Beatles for me, you read the official story & watch the Anthology series & its a story you couldn't write, so much went on in 8 short incredible years.

When you see that first photo of them on the balcony of that block of flats, then they returned 8 years later looking like old Men, having lived a lifetime in 8 years.

They left behind the kind of legacy that still perplexes me. Not knocking the other otions here, they're all legends in my book.

How about a shout for Robert Johnson too !
That's a really great point. It's easy to overlook the decade or less they were a band and yet how much they accomplished. The multi-album years helped them create a volume of work in such a short time.

To play devil's advocate, one would realistically have to factor in the context wherein their rise took place, especially here in the States, and also acknowledge the monster and oft enemy of “real music” they rode on their way -- a massive marketing and PR endeavor. Many diehard classic rockers frown upon the boy bands and teeny boppers of today but the Beatles used that same kind of machine to make it big.

Just like today, luck is a necessary component to making it big. With that in mind one would have to surmise that the Beates were also extremely lucky blokes. Good thing for us that they had so much talent to back it up!

Also, I’ve mentioned this before, from Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard to the Beatles, the value of image, along with the music, is in many ways what gave rock a notable distinction from prior genres on the marketing front. The new teenager music had youth and flamboyance as an integral part of its identity and that persists to this day in various forms.
0 x