Manual page 55

Zoom PS-02 & PS-04 Palmtop Studio information, discussion, and support
sungear
new to this board
new to this board

Manual page 55

Post by sungear » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi again I looked page 55 regarding recording on 2 tracks at the same time but could not my head around it.......I have 1 tyros 2 to provide music......1 mic to plug in so my singer can sing into it......1 mic connecting box 3 inputs mic 1....2...&3 and of course an output all in mono I hope this is all gear I need.Can someone please tell me step by step in plain English what I need to do to make a recording, me on 1 track, singer on another so I can mix it down and save it .... on my pc?

Hope you can help Wally
0 x

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:38 am

Wally,

I'm a bit confused as to what you have in your post above, but I understand the question. Mind you now, I haven't done this myself, because I'm a one-track-at-a-time guy, but this should work:

First, it's going to take a mixer that outputs stereo - could be you have one - that's the easy way. Instead of plugging the mixer into a PA system, you plug it into the PS-04. It's going to take an 1/8 inch stereo adapter to go to the 1/8 inch Line Input.

I assume you've made a mono recording before. If not, you need to learn how to do that first. Well "need" is too strong. Let's say you might like to learn to use the basic machine before you try something slightly more involved.

To record in stereo from line input, instead of pressing one track to arm the track, you press two tracks - but they have to be 1 + 2, or 3 + 4 - no other combination will work for stereo recording. Press the first track, then while holding that button down, press the second one, then release. If it doesn't show two tracks armed, try again, the buttons can be bouncy.

Make your recording like you made your basic mono recording, but this time, you can adjust the levels of two tracks to get the proper mix (plus adjusting the mixer will help, you probably did this already.

If I'm mis-interpreting the above post, you don't have a mixer. It's going to be more difficult, but you can get a series of adapters, however the mic levels may be too low for a decent signal into the PS-04.

Howard
0 x

crakkenmyer

Post by crakkenmyer » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:17 am

Getting home to my manual, I see that the instruction actually starts on pg 53.
As Howard points out, Some mics might not have a signal that's strong enough to be plugged into the "INPUT" jack, but I haven't come across any. with the help of the knob next to the jacks you can adjust to the level of most input sources. Note that the nob ONLY works for this jack, if my understanding is accurate.
As I stated in your previous thread, I usually record Internal Mic + External mic or instrument. I Start by plugging my external source to "INPUT". Go to TRACK PARAMETER . Press button 2 "INPUT" above the sliders, and adjust the input level with the above mentioned knob. Then I press button 1, and while holding it down press button 2. At this stage you should see MIC+INPUT at the top of your display. Now press cursor right once, and then cursor down tilll you get to FADER to adjust the level for the Internal Mic. Cursor Right once more to check External Source level. Cursor left twice and then exit to the main screen. Press buttons 1+2, or 3+4, check levels, RECORD !!!! If the peaks are to high (Total Clip) re-adjust sliders and try again.

I hope this works. If I've missed something I'm sure somebody else will set me straight :lol:

This is just basic. One can use limiter settings etc, but I'll let somebody else sort that out.
0 x
Oldman Crakkenmyer

Howard
Yoda
Yoda

Post by Howard » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:37 am

I should have said most dynamic mikes are too low in level for the Line In 1/8 inch jack - I haven't found a dynamic too low for the 1/4 inch Input jack, the level of which adjusts via the knob next to it. The jack itself is a MONO only jack, btw.

Since I haven't mastered the track parameters, I don't know if what you did will work. I'm assuming you'll say so in short order. If so, it would be interesting know the result.

So I can be clear, I'll repeat what I think you said: You've plugged a source like a keyboard or guitar into the Input jack, to be recorded on one track, then gone in and adjusted track parameters so you can use the built-in mic simultaneously for recording on a separate track. Is that right?

If so, I did not know it was possible to get the internal mic to work while using any other input. My hat's off to you for figuring this out if you did. I only thought you could record two sources simultaneously using the 1/8 inch Line Input jack, and the proper mixer.
0 x

crakkenmyer

Post by crakkenmyer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:59 am

It's the reason I bought the PS-04. I often have one of my guitars with me when travelling, so with the PS + an external mic I can record whereever I am. Me through the external, the guitar through the built-in mic or vise versa, using channel 1+2, pan them left and right, PRESTO STEREO 8)

Honestly, though, I haven't done as much recording as I had hoped. The Idea was to do a decent mix of the songs I've written throught the years. What happens is that I often end up fiddling around with beats and patches, which inspires me to try new riffs and licks and seldom get any actual recording done other than on the 32mb card that I use as an Audio Notebook for future reference.

Oh, well. One of these days I'll put up a web page "The Best of Crakkenmyer" and become famous :lol:
0 x
Oldman Crakkenmyer

crakkenmyer

Post by crakkenmyer » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:41 am

I FORGOT ONE IMPORTANT POINT !!!!!! One has to use the DUAL effect patches to separate the tracks!!!! EFFECT, Cursor Up or Down, Scoll Wheel to the desired or Empty patch.

As I said, it's been a while... :oops:
0 x
Oldman Crakkenmyer

sungear
new to this board
new to this board

RE page 55

Post by sungear » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks for all the help so-far I'm going to sit down and have a play to see if I can do it I shall then report back.

Regards Wally
0 x

crakkenmyer

Re:

Post by crakkenmyer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 am

crakkenmyer wrote: Oh, well. One of these days I'll put up a web page "The Best of Crakkenmyer" and become famous :lol:
The first step in this equation completed. Now I just have to do some more recording rather than just jamming around. :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/jefcrakkenmyer
0 x
Oldman Crakkenmyer