Boil the Frog: Spotify

Anything related to music, recording, gear, or this forum. Friendly chat welcome. NO politics or religion please, there are plenty of other forums for both topics. Anything else is fine.
Forum rules
Be nice.
Zoetrope
Site Admin
Site Admin

Boil the Frog: Spotify

Post by Zoetrope » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:51 am

I generally dislike Spotify (interface sucks in my opinion) but this is clever. Input two bands and it will create a playlist that slowly goes from one to the other:

http://static.echonest.com/BoilTheFrog/ ... igur%20ros
2 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Boil the Frog: Spotify

Post by Jim_Fogle » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:46 pm

I seldom listen to Spotify anymore. No special reason I can point to, just got tired of it.

Just to hear what would happen I input Glenn Miller and The Eagles. It took seventeen songs but they did it! Fun and good listening too.
1 x
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
2017 Band-in-a-Box, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity, Chord Pulse
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB HD
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:13 am

Interesting stuff.

I'm not sure how the songs are supposed to relate but the ones I tried seemed to have no relevance at all but they made for an interesting listen

Captain Beefheart to Brotherhood of Man (a very lightweight British pop group who won the Eurovision song contest in 1976)

Zebda (French rock/rap/world) to Big Star

Fascinating links but completely irrelevant as far as I can see ;)

Great fun though!
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

The Cracks
The Force
The Force

Post by The Cracks » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:30 am

I don't stream music much. I use Pandora when driving long distances which is rare. My music listening is generally limited to Youtube. I really don't listen to that much music anymore.
0 x
My albums

My songs

Collaborations are temporarily down

My website

"No matter how hard I tried [no song] was ever perfect. There was always a pimple somewhere.” Burt Bacharach

"If you're enjoying it, why do something else?" Sir Paul McCartney

"The chords inspire the melody and the melody inspires the lyrics." Brian Wilson

dickl
The Force
The Force

Post by dickl » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:46 pm

I think you might be missing the point Sean. I don't use Spotify or stream much music either but this is some "clever" piece of software that attempts to link disparate bands by a series of songs.

Although I couldn't see any connection between the songs used to connect the bands I used it was an interesting little excursion into some music I would probably never listen to.

Pick a couple of completely different artists and give it a try.
0 x
Soundclick :: AMOKOPERA :: Suite For Queen Caroline :: MacJams :: Tricks Upon Travellers CDs here and here

greenA2
dues paid
dues paid

Post by greenA2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:21 pm

dickl wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:13 am
Interesting stuff.

I'm not sure how the songs are supposed to relate but the ones I tried seemed to have no relevance at all but they made for an interesting listen
The sonic youth to sigur ros seems to go through bands, solo projects, other band from same scene etc: sonic youth, thurston moore solo, j. mascis who was sort of in the same scene, sebadoh that is the project of barlow who was mascis band mate, barlow solo, etc.

My guess is that they decompose each song/band into some sort of n-dimensional coordinates (genre, instrumentation, geography etc.), and then try and go from one to the other through the shortest possible route
1 x
Zoom A2, H5, YouRock Guitar