Zoom Effects vs Hardware/Pedals

Questions and answers related to any Zoom Gear that doesn't have its own sub-forum yet. This includes any new gear that's been announced, and any old gear you've got. Please don't "post and run". Participate in the discussion. Thanks.
stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Zoom Effects vs Hardware/Pedals

Post by stubbsonic » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:56 pm

With this thread, I thought it would be interesting to share some impressions & comparisons between some of Zoom's modules and the hardware that is being emulated. It wouldn't need to be specific to makes & models, perhaps just a general sense of how they hold up. Often, guitarists will dismiss digital effects as inferior without ever testing them. Beyond that, Zoom is underrated even amongst digital modelers. Boss, Line 6, and Digitech all have things they can/should be embarrassed by in their digital effects.

I've been pretty happy with the Zoom models. But recently my GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) has compelled me to research getting a few hardware/analog pedals.

First one on my mind was a tube screamer clone. The Seymour Duncan 805 sounds like a great option for me, but is a little too pricey. A used Digitech/Hardwire CM-2 was more in my budget.

The second pedal that came to mind was the Digitech/Hardwire RV-7. It's more affordable than most of the other reverbs that I would like. With its Lexicon-based reverbs, it probably has slightly nicer sounding reverb than the Zoom pedals. I think Zoom did an ok job on their reverbs. I think the RV-7 is a bit less tweakable than the Zoom. On my MS-100BT spreadsheet, I had rated five of the Zoom reverbs at a 5 out of 5. I noticed that the MS-100BT has a model of the RV-7 reverse reverb.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Re: Zoom Effects vs Hardware/Pedals

Post by stubbsonic » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:02 am

Kind of off my own topic, but I discovered the Neunaber pedals, and in particular, their reverb called Immerse Mk ii. After hearing it compared to the other big selling reverbs, the Immerse pedal is easily the most gorgeous reverb in a pedal. I'm not a fan of shimmer reverbs, so leaving that one aside, the rest are rich and deep and glorious sounding.

It's interesting how reverbs really do all sound different. There's the sound you get while you are playing, then there's the tails you hear when you aren't playing. There are the ways they respond to short percussive sounds, and how they sound with long sustained tones. Some reverbs just sound like diffuse delays, i.e., not quite like a real space. The Boss reverbs have that artificial, unpleasant sound. I've always been a big fan of lexicon reverbs, and this is the first time the Lexicon "approach" took a back seat to another algorithmic reverb. I'm assuming this pedal does not use convolution, but I may be wrong.

I've ordered the Immersive Mk II, and will order a Xotic X-Blender next.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Jim_Fogle
Jedi Zoom Master
Jedi Zoom Master

Post by Jim_Fogle » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:38 pm

A little late, but it reads like your going to have a Merry Christmas. I hope you find both pedals inspiring. It will be interesting to hear what music is created.
0 x
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
Zoom MRS-8
Gibson acoustic 12-string, Peavey Predator, Line6 Variax, Yamaha keyboard and digital drums
2018 Band-in-a-Box, ChordPulse http://www.chordpulse.com/
Cakewalk by BandLab, Sonar Home Studio, Cakewalk Music Creator 6, Audacity
Win 7 laptop i3, 8 GB DRAM, 500GB SSD

stubbsonic
dues paid
dues paid

Post by stubbsonic » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:57 am

Thanks, Jim. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too.

So when the dust settles, I'll have a real compressor, distortion, and reverb. I don't think I've ever owned individual pedals for any of those. Only the reverb is digital, all else is analog.

Back to my original subject, since there isn't much up on YouTube comparing Zoom models to hardware, (especially things like compressors, reverbs, etc), I'll do a little comparing when I get these things in.
0 x