To Rap or Not To Rap????

The place to post your NEW home recording. Please tell us what you recorded with, and be sure to comment on music by other board members. Please avoid posting songs on controversial or divisive topics. Read the Guidelines before making your first post.
Forum rules
If you post a song, please listen to and comment on other songs. Be positive and helpful. Have fun. Read the Guidelines before making your first post. Thanks

Should I spend some recording time on a highly offensive "rap" song?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:01 pm

Go for it Lee. We love you and know you're kidding man.
85%
Don't bother. We either don't want to hear offensive lyrics or think it's a waste of time.
15%

Total votes: 13

Lee
The Force
The Force

Post by Lee » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:22 pm

Jeff,

You made some really good points that I really agree with strongly. What’s funny is how the music started (arguably or at least in the popular sense), as did rock, with something so silly and/or simpleminded like the Sugar Hill Gangs “Rapper’s Delight” with lyrics about eating chicken and other rather mundane and unthreatening topics, and how quickly it became not only the street method for music but the very mouthpiece for a whole generation.

On a less important note, I’ve often wondered what somebody would think of rap who came from like the late fifties or early sixties and/or was totally isolated from it. I figure their complaint would be, “the Disk Jockeys on the radio are terrible these days! The record skips for three minutes straight without correction and the DJ never stops talking over it!”

[edit]I had some dumb typos... what else is nu... knew... new!!!!
Last edited by Lee on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
"At one point, Lee made a surprisingly intelligent comment" - ferret
rock project (sc) | country stuff (sc)

tonyoci
The Force
The Force

Post by tonyoci » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:26 pm

Jeff, I definitely find the "rap" (wrong name) that I like is the more tuneful kind, Eminem, Outkast, Snoop are all well known for clever lyrics and interesting choruses etc. Outkast are barely rap anymore
0 x